Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sandbaggers

100_0737

The Sandbaggers are in town! I asked what was going on and apparently these are replicas of the boats that oyster fishermen used to race for sport. It started out as just crab fishing sailboats racing each other, but soon specially built boats were used. There were strict rules on hull size, but no restrictions on sail size, so sail size got totally out of control. So they were ballasted with 50 or 60 pound bags of gravel that the crew moved from one side of the boat to the other each time the boat changed tack. Not a single-hand situation! The skipper was at the helm, the sail trimmer tended the sails (and actually did much of the steering with the sails), and 10 or so other people moved the "sandbags" around.

The sport died out in the late 1800's when the rules changed, but these two replicas travel around and introduce people to sailing by having them crew, using water bags instead of sand bags to keep from scratching them up. I may just give it a try while they're here.

Here's their website. Quite fascinating. Check out the video here (click on "The Sandbagger"). And here is a beautiful picture of "Bear" under sail.

100_0738

100_0739

100_0740

100_0741

100_0742

4 Comments:

Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

those are awful purdy boats

Tuesday, July 24, 2007  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

that's fer sher. At first I thought maybe I'd shoot for one of these someday, instead of a Friendship Sloop. But then I found out you need 10 guerillas to keep moving the sandbags back and forth. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone has built a replica with more reasonably-sized sails and a weighted keel. That could work. Meanwhile, I think I'm going to try to crew on one of these next week.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the location. You must be used to it but I really like it a lot...
More people pics please

Monday, August 06, 2007  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

I never get sick of the beauty of this location! :-)

I'll probably never be huge on "people pics" because when I'm with people, I just want to be with them, not stage photo shoots. I do most of my photography when I'm by myself. But, there has been an increase in people pics of late, because I've been taking the time to "steal" the people pics that my friends (usually female) take. Hopefully this trend will continue. There are a bunch of people-pics of Cape Cod that will be posted soon. Almost all of them are from friends' cameras.

Friday, August 10, 2007  

Post a Comment