Friday, June 10, 2005

Practicing for the Wedding

These are more pictures from my Philadelphia trip.
This is me at 10th Presbyterian Church on Delancey and 17th. The organ is not a pipe organ, unfortunately, but when it was installed by Allen Organs in the 1980's, it was the largest electronic organ in the world. I didn't count, but its probably somewhere between 120 and 160 "ranks", and has 4 manuals, 7 divisions (Pedal, Great (II), Swell(III), Choir(I), Positive(IV), Solo(floating), Bombarde(floating)). It makes some pretty serious noise when needed. I was very impressed with the way it sounds, and was a bit disappointed to return to my usual rather mediocre pipe organ in Vermont. But it took a good 4 hours just to decide which stops I would use for the six hymns I was playing.























4 Comments:

Blogger Phil (and at times, Amy) said...

Hi Andy
I'm posting again what I said earlier, only without the spelling errors. A professor and mentor of mine at Philadelphia College of Bible (now Philadelphia Biblical University) is the organist/Music director at 10th Pres, Paul Jones. My piano professor at PBU is Samuel Hsu, an elder at 10th. "It's a small world after all..."

Thursday, October 13, 2005  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

Cool! Yes, it is a small world. I didn't actually meet Paul Jones that weekend, but of course had a few email exchanges. Maybe next time. I try to get to Philadelphia any time I can find an excuse... which isn't often, but happens occasionally. Only happened 3 times so far in fact. I need to get back there to trascribe a really cool poem on the wall (of all things) in the morse code section of the Franklin Museum. I had been hoping I might be able to google it, but no luck! Are you a student at PBU now? You make it sound "present tense".

Friday, October 14, 2005  
Blogger Todd Anderson said...

ANdy
Did those pesky Presbyterians make you wear a coat and tie to practice that organ>??

Some of us Methodists come to Worship in flip flops and cut off shorts (Not This One)

Todd Anderson
from PIPORG-L

Sunday, November 25, 2007  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

LOL... no. I practiced in shorts and a T-shirt. I did cheat on these photos.... they were taken immediately AFTER the wedding. I had actually forgotten about that I think when I titled this post!

Sunday, November 25, 2007  

Post a Comment