Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Accessing the Tall Pipes for Tuning

000_0424
My first actual construction project was pretty simple. The organ needs tuning, but access to the tall pipes is tricky. I decided to build a stool to make it easier. I had all sorts of grandiose plans for a portable 3 step stair type thing, but in the end the simplest solution turned out to be the most suitable. A wooden box. Here its shown on its side, 10" tall. On end, its 20" tall. This is just high enough to reach the tallest metal pipes which are around 10' tall. The tallest wooden pipes are closer to 12' high at the top, so I'll still need to use the ladder for that. I figured out that I can put the existing wooden ladder on top of the Pedal Bourdon chest and pretty much access everything.

000_0425

000_0426

000_0426

000_0427
Standing on the box on its end, I can just reach the highest metal tuning slide:
000_0429

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note, when tuning; use a tuning knife. Touching the pipes changes the temperature, and you have to wait about 2-3 minutes for it to equalize again.

Sunday, February 26, 2006  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

Thanks! I do know that, and do use one, but these 12 basses use tuning slides that tighten with a screw, as you can see in the photo. Which leads to a question. Are these intended to be loosened to tune, and then tightened again, or is the idea to use the screw to set just the right tension to allow them to slide for tuning, but then stay put? Anyone know?

Sunday, February 26, 2006  

Post a Comment