Thursday, July 19, 2007

Ivie Chapel, Outside

100_0678

A sign by the road at the chapel reads:

"Ivie Memorial Chapel
Built in 1931 by Alvine E Ivie as a memorial to his daughter Florence Ivie Abbott who died at the age of 27. Designed by Jens Frederick Larson, this late version of an English Perpendicular Gothic church hosts a mosaic tile altar and alabaster lights. The cornerstone of the church contains memorabilia of her life. The chapel was donated to the Episcopal diocese of New Hampshire. It is now overseen by The White Mountain School (formerly St Mary's-in-the-Mountains School) in Bethlehem."

Kind of a sad story. He had this chapel built in memory of his daughter who died of influenza, and gave it to the Episcopal church, who did accept it but never really found a use for it other than a very occasional special service or wedding. So, essentially, this beautiful building has just sat there all this time. Now the adjacent country club has purchased it for the 15 or so acres it sits on. They don't know what they will do with the chapel either, but they're stuck with it now. They've sold all the furnishings, the 10 tuned bells in the tower, and the pews. Walker Pipe Organs got the Aeolean player pipe organ, along with 20-something rolls, and hired George and I to provide extra muscle.

100_0677
I've been either full time or part time in the pipe organ business since 2002, and one of the cool things about it is exploring some of the most unique architecture around. I must say this is one of the most unique ones I've seen... not just the architecture but the story behind it. Kind of a time capsule, since the building was so seldom used. The ivory keyboards on the organ are like new, other than the usual yellowing... I'm not sure I've ever felt unworn ivory before.
100_0676

100_0674

100_0669

100_0668

100_0667

100_0666

100_0665

100_0663

100_0662

100_0661

100_0658

100_0657

100_0654

3 Comments:

Blogger ABBO said...

My grandmother was Florence Ivie Abbott. Please contact me at goabbo@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Dave Abbott

Thursday, July 03, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I drove by this chapel yesterday. It's stunning. Do you know who I might contact to get inside, I'd love to take pictures of the stained glass windows. They look beautiful from the outside.
When I notice the chapel did not have a parking lot I figured there had to be a story there. This would make a lovely gallery or resturant.

Monday, September 07, 2009  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

I don't know exactly, but I know it is now owned by the country club that surrounds the property, so you can probably do a little research from there to find out how to get inside. Last I knew they were at a loss for what to do with the place. They just wanted the land. So they might be open to suggestions!

Monday, September 07, 2009  

Post a Comment